The staff and volunteers in ANMC’s Auxiliary team work to care for every patient’s mental and spiritual health. In many ways, the Auxiliary are the heart of the hospital and its history of giving and compassion dates back to 1967 when the volunteer-based Auxiliary Patient Services program began.
Many things have changed since then, but one constant has been the care, dedication and mission of ANMC’s Auxiliary Patient Services group, which is committed to the well-being of the Alaska Native people we serve.
Auxiliary volunteers play many roles at the ANMC hospital. Some of those roles include:
Managing and maintaining the ANMC Native art collection: The ANMC Auxiliary has purchased and set for display more than 1,000 pieces of museum-quality Alaska Native art. The Heritage Collection is one of the finest of its kind and is displayed throughout the hospital. Auxiliary Patient Services manages and maintains the collection to provide a touch point of belonging, culture and home for hospital patients and visitors, no matter where they are originally from.
- Activities coordinator: Volunteers plan and host patient activities like BINGO, movie nights, game nights and more.
- Arts & Crafts Cart: Volunteers visit hospital units and offer crafts, books, magazines, games and inspirational materials to patients.
- Art from the Heart: Volunteers visits inpatient pediatric patients and assists young patients and families with art projects.
- BFF’s (Babies’ First Friends): Volunteers visit the Inpatient Pediatric Unit and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to hold babies, and to play games and read with children.
- Clergy / Pastoral Ministry Team: Volunteers visit patients to provide spiritual support when it is needed.
- Comfort Care Companion: Volunteers assist nursing staff with inpatient care, refreshing fluids, addressing comfort cares, escorting patients to physical therapy or radiology appointments, assisting with feeding, reading to patients and providing friendly companionship.
- Copy Center Technician: Volunteers assist ANTHC’s Copy Center staff, printing promotional and educational materials for patients and staff.
- Craft Shop: Volunteers provide customer service, sales transactions, inventory management and light housekeeping in ANMC’s world-famous Craft Shop.
- Radiology Associate: Volunteers assist ANMC Radiology staff with patient care and escort patients throughout the hospital.
- Story Time Literacy Advocates: Volunteers read books and talk with patients of all ages.
- Tender Loving Care: These volunteers put the Love in Tender Loving Care by spending time with ANMC’s youngest patients, bringing them books, toys and balloons.
If your personal mission and volunteering passion includes helping others, please consider joining our team of dedicated volunteers!